Get ready for one of the BEST combinations of flavors! This recipe is adapted from Better Homes and Garden’s and is DELICIOUS! I first had this on a camping trip this fall and just got around to making it myself this week. I would love to hear your variations of this goodie!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 15 ounce can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained (the linked brand is my fav!)
- 14 ounces of vegetarian broth (linked brand is my ABSOLUTE go to! It is so flavorful! Even my meat loving friends use it rather than chicken broth in all of their recipes)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (I always use a tad more, but I LOVE cumin)
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Colby/Monterey Jack cheese
- Bottled green salsa
- Tortilla chips for topping and optional dipping (YUM!)
- Avocado sliced or cubed (optional topping)
- Sour Cream (optional topping)
- In a large saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes (just until warm and slightly brown).
- Stir in hominy, beans, vegetarian broth, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Trust me your kitchen will smell AMAZING!
- Serve topped with cheese, salsa, tortilla chips, avocado & sour cream.